Click here to go to the NoodleTools sign-in page. You know you love NoodleTools. Don't deny it.
There are A LOT of books about the 50's, 60's, & 70's out on the table near the computers. You can also search for books online in the Destiny Online Catalogue. Please take advantage of the books to get a feel for your decade and to search for specific events (in the index or Table of Contents).
You will no doubt find plenty of information by googling your events, but remember that not all sites are equal and some could have incorrect information, especially when it comes to controversial issues like the assassination of Kennedy and the Vietnam War. Check for domain names (.edu, .org, .gov) and check who created the website!
Here are a few suggestions:
Encyclopedias are good when you want an overview/summary of a topic:
Some good databases to try on the LAUSD Digital Library:
- Facts on File --> American History Online
- Scroll down the page to "Learning Centers," and click on the links for the 1950's, 1960's, or 1970's for great info or search for a specific event.
- ABC-CLIO - American History
- (Try looking up your events here. This site has good primary resources. E.g., the speech that President Kennedy gave about the desegregation of the University of Alabama & a picture of a student trying to get in.)
- Salem Press History
- Lonestar College: 1950's, 1960's, & 1970's.
- (Scroll down to find the good stuff.)
- PBS: 1960s
- Black Panther Party
- Black Panther Party Platform & Program
- Vietnam War
- You can go back and read original coverage of the scandal by TIME magazine during the 70's!!
- John Lennon is shot